A spill kit is a special type of kit that is usually used to control spills of oil, chemical, and other hazardous substance. In Bangladesh, it is widely used for security purposes in various places including industrial areas, oil and gas industries, laboratory-research centers, and transport and logistics areas. Spill kit generally plays an important role in ensuring the safety of both workers and the environment. Various brand of spill kit including Sysbel, HAZ, SPC, and Universal is available at an affordable price in Bangladesh.
What type of spill kit is available in Bangladesh?
As per industry need and condition notable spill kit available in Bangladesh:
General Spill Kit: General Spill Kit is designed for use in absorbing generally non-hazardous liquids such as potable liquids, coolants, and non-corrosive liquids.
Oil Spill Kit: It is designed specifically to contain spills of oil, hydrocarbon, and petroleum-based liquids.
Chemical Spill Kit: Chemical spill kit is generally used to control hazardous chemical spills.
Marine Spill Kit: This type of Spill kit is designed to control spills of oil as well as hazardous substances in the marine environment including seaports, harbors, and waterways.
In addition, biohazard spill kit is available to control spills of oil, gas, chemicals, as well as medical waste at a low price in Bangladesh.
What is the benefit of using a spill kit?
1. Spill Kit facilitates rapid and immediate response that minimizes the potential for hazards and environmental damage at the immediate spill site.
2. Spill kit typically provides components such as absorbent pads, socks, or booms that help effectively contain spilled material and prevent large-scale spills.
3. The spill kit contains personal protective equipment and PPE such as gloves, goggles, and protective clothing. This reduces the risk of exposure to hazardous materials in cleaning operations and ensures safety.
4. Help to reduce harmful effects on the environment by controlling pollution of ecosystems, forests, soil, water, or other natural habitats.
5. Helps to protect against the risk of accidents and injuries caused by slippery surfaces by removing rapidly spreading liquids.
6. Spill kit helps reduce financial losses associated with environmental fines or legal liability.
How much does a spill kit cost?
Spill kit price typically varies depending on several factors, including kit size, spill type, brand, and design. Spill kit price in Bangladesh starts at a minimum of Tk 6,500 and is available in various materials including a 40-liter chemical holding capacity, 20 pcs absorbent pads, 2 pcs absorbent pillows, and 1 pair of nitrile gloves. Chemical spill kit price starts at Tk 8,000, which is used to remove oil, chemicals, and other flammable waste materials. Moreover, high-capacity spill kit for use in large-scale industrial plants, marine environments, or other environments starts at Tk 20,000.
What steps should be taken to effectively use a spill kit in an emergency?
It is important to follow proper procedures to effectively use a spill kit in an emergency spill situation.
- The nature, volume, and potential hazard of the material spilled must be determined.
- Gloves, goggles, and protective clothing must be worn to protect against exposure to hazardous materials.
- The public in the vicinity should be notified of spills of oil, chemicals or other flammable substances and boundaries should be established to protect pedestrians.
- Appropriate spill kits must be selected for the type of spill and spilled material.
- Containment devices, such as absorbent socks or booms, should be used to prevent spills. Spill kits should be placed around the affected area for strategic sprinkling. As a result, it can quickly absorb and capture liquid.