Oxygen cylinders are used to store oxygen. Oxygen cylinders are used to supply oxygen to lung patients and those with low blood oxygen level in hospital. Again, divers around the world, including Bangladesh, use oxygen cylinder to keep their breathing under water. Also, special oxygen cylinder is used in industrial work.
What type of oxygen cylinder is used in Bangladesh?
Oxygen cylinders made of steel and aluminum are generally used in medical facilities in Bangladesh. Oxygen cylinders made of aluminum are relatively light and can be easily carried. However, both cylinders contain 99.5% pure oxygen suitable for hospital use. Again, many oxygen cylinders are small in size hence known as mini oxygen cylinder and portable oxygen cylinder. Industrial oxygen cylinders, on the other hand, contain less than 90% pure oxygen and are only suitable for industrial use.
When should the oxygen cylinder be used?
Oxygen cylinder should not be used without the advice of a registered doctor. The blood oxygen content of the patient's body can be determined through a special pulse oximeter. This device measures the body's oxygen saturation or SPO2. If the SPO2 level is below 95 to 92 percent, the doctor will suggest using an oxygen cylinder. In that case oxygen cylinder should be used as per doctor's advice.
What to look for before buying an oxygen cylinder?
Before buying an oxygen cylinder, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Oxygen cylinder should be selected as per doctor's advice.
- How many liters of oxygen will be required per minute or purchased in LPM.
- The drug license number of the oxygen manufacturing company must be checked and purchased. This is because all oxygen produced for human consumption has a drug license number from the manufacturer. On the other hand, industrially used oxygen cylinder does not have the drug license number of the manufacturer.
- Oxygen should be purchased after production period.
- Buy canola or oxygen mask as per requirement.
- If the oxygen cylinder is to be used only in emergency, then try to buy a portable or mini oxygen cylinder. So, it will be easy to carry anywhere.
How to use oxygen cylinder?
Oxygen cylinder plays a role in saving people's lives through oxygen therapy. But, if the oxygen cylinder is not used properly, the patient's condition can become more serious. So must know the correct rules of using oxygen cylinder. The correct rules for using oxygen cylinder are as follows:
- Turn on the oxygen cylinder valve by hand. However, you can use a wrench if necessary.
- Check the oxygen pressure meter to verify that there is sufficient oxygen in the oxygen cylinder.
- Adjust the oxygen flow through the oxygen flow-regulator knob and bring it to the flow rate prescribed by the physician.
- Attach the nasal cannula or oxygen mask to the patient's mouth.
Precautions in the use of oxygen cylinder
- As oxygen cylinders are useful for humans, carelessness in their use can lead to severe diseases or life-threatening accident. Some things must be careful. For example:
- Oxygen cylinder tubes should be cleaned regularly. If oxygen cylinder tubes are not cleaned regularly, they can harbor harmful bacteria and fungi that can be the source of serious infectious diseases.
- Oxygen is a flammable substance and can easily explode when exposed to heaters and flames. Therefore, nothing like a flame can be taken near it. Avoid smoking even around oxygen cylinder.
- Do not use perfumes, aerosols, petroleum products, and oil based products while using oxygen.
What is the price of oxygen cylinder in BD?
In BD, the price is determined based on the amount of oxygen inside the oxygen cylinder and how many liters of oxygen it can deliver per minute. A 20,000 liter oxygen cylinder is generally available in BD which price between Tk 18,000 to Tk 22,000. Price vary based on LPM. Again, China brand oxygen cylinders are available between Tk 6,000 to Tk 12,500.