People who are unable to move normally use wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are used especially in hospitals to move patients from one place to another. Again, paralyzed and disabled patients can move with the help of hands through wheelchairs. Different types of wheelchairs are available in Bangladesh for the disabled, paralyzed, and elderly.
How many types of wheelchairs are available in Bangladesh?
Manual wheelchairs: Usually manual wheelchairs are used in hospitals to move patients from one place to another. Again, disabled patients with sufficient hand strength can turn the wheel of a manual wheelchair without assistance. Manual wheelchairs can be folded when needed. The use of manual wheelchairs is relatively high in Bangladesh.
Commode Wheelchair: Commode wheelchair is suitable for sick or disabled persons who cannot go to the toilet for defecation. With commode wheelchair firstly, the patient can be easily moved from one place to another and secondly, the patient can do toileting from the wheelchair. Commode wheelchairs are especially used by paralyzed and elderly patients.
Electric Wheelchair: With the help of an electric wheelchair, a person with disabilities or unable to move normally can move by controlling the switch with one hand. If it is difficult to use a manual wheelchair then an electric wheelchair can be used. However, before using the electric wheelchair, the user must learn the rules of controlling the electric wheelchair. Electric wheelchairs are relatively expensive.
Sleeping Wheelchair: The back side of the chair can be bent for reclining in sleeping wheel chairs and can be converted into a bed if needed. If the wheelchair user spends 5 to 6 hours in the wheelchair on a regular basis, then a sleeping wheelchair or reclining wheelchair is suitable for such persons. Using a sleeping wheel chair can prevent spinal cord problems. Most sleeping wheelchairs have commodes attached.
What to look for before buying a wheelchair?
A wheelchair should be selected considering the patient's problem. Things that must be taken care of before buying a wheelchair:
- A manual wheelchair is suitable for regular use if the patient's disability is limited to the lower body and has sufficient arm strength.
- If the patient has difficulty getting to the toilet then the use of a commode wheelchair will be appropriate.
- If you use a wheel chair regularly for a long time, you should buy a chair that can tilt the back of the chair.
- If the patient does not have enough hand strength but can control the switch with fingers then electric wheelchair is suitable for him.
- If a wheelchair is required for a temporary period, it is advisable to rent a wheelchair.
- A folding wheelchair should be purchased so that it can be easily carried anywhere.
What is the price of wheel chairs in BD?
Wheelchairs vary in price depending on the type and quality. The price of wheelchair in BD is available from as low as 7,000 Taka to 8,500 Taka which is a manual wheelchair. Again in Bangladesh, commode wheelchairs range from Tk 9,000 to Tk 15,500. Sleeping wheelchairs are available from Tk 15,000 to Tk 35,000. And, electric wheelchairs in BD range from Tk 75,000 to Tk 1,20,000. However, wheelchairs are available for rent on a daily basis if required for a temporary period.