Although the printer has not changed much in terms of design, it has changed a lot in terms of technology. Technology such as mobile printing options, wireless connectivity, NFC, etc. have made printers much more efficient. Before buying a printer, determine what the purpose of the printer is and who will use it. Moreover, the budget must be kept in mind so that you can buy the best model printer.
Inkjet vs laser ?
Laser printers are used to quickly print large amounts of document files at once. Laser printers are incomparable for high quality printing and bright color printing. Even with an inject printer, good quality pictures can be printed perfectly, but it takes a little longer to print a picture. Laser printers are good for those who need to print less because the ink does not dry easily due to laser technology but the ink of the inkjet printer dries easily if left unused. However, the price of laser printer is comparatively much higher.
Who needs what kind of printer ?
Home users include individuals, families or students. Although they do not print very much in quantity but they have the possibility to print anything from homework assignments to photos or art projects. They basically need a versatile inkjet printer at a low cost.
Home office or small office users can print less or print more. But their purpose is to get professional quality output. Many of them need laser printers later. However, many get relatively better output using the equivalent color inkjet printers.
Workhorse printers are needed for small workgroups that are able to meet the larger demand. Large laser printers can also meet this demand.
Some important features of the printer:
There is no printer that only prints at present. Buying a printer with a scanner makes it much easier to copy documents or create digital documents. You can purchase a multi-function printer for versatile use.
All types of printers can connect to a computer using a USB / Ethernet port. Models designed for office typically connect via Ethernet. There is no alternative of Wi-Fi to ensure maximum use of the printer. Wi-Fi will help you to easily use the printer and connect to the mobile. Think carefully before buying a printer without Wi-Fi.
Even the most corporate-focused printers have not been able to meet the demand for mobile devices and have some form of mobile printing. Find apps for direct printing that work with Android, iOS and other mobile devices, or print via email (HP's Print and Google's Cloud Print) or third-party technology (Apple's Airprint). Using NFC allows you to pair your mobile device with a printer and instruct you to print using Wi-Fi and apps.
Choose a printer that can hold more pages than you need to print daily. A personal printer can typically hold 100 to 150 pages in a single tray. Some printers have dedicated photo trays that reduce paper swapping. A business printer can hold a minimum of 250 pages and advanced model printers can typically hold 500 to 1000 pages. Printers with multiple paper trays are ideal for office use.
Two-sided printing or duplexing can halve your paper costs. Some printers have manual duplexing. Manual duplexing tells you how to rotate and reload the paper.
A3 size paper cannot be printed with all types of printers. Before buying a printer, you have to decide with which type of paper size you will print A4 or A3.
If you are a heavy user, you need a printer with a large tray. It is better to buy printers that are large in size. Otherwise work may be disrupted.
Printer memory is a very important issue. It depends on the type of work. If you want to work more with the printer, it will take more memory because all the print commands can be kept in memory.
Toner is used for printing in laser printers. Ink or ink tanks are used in color inkjet printers.
Buy a printer according to budget:
- At this price you will get a single function inkjet printer. But the models of this price will be much slower and will not have features. Its ink will be expensive. In addition, they have tricolor cartridges in a combination of green, blue, magenta and turmeric so that the whole cartridge has to be replaced when one color is finished.
- At this price you can buy a single function inkjet printer or a medium quality inkjet multi-function printer or a basic monochrome laser printer. For single users, these priced printers offer moderate speed and paper handling capabilities. But their control panels are of medium quality. Ink or toner tends to be expensive. Some models have separate color cartridges but most models have tricolor cartridges.
- At this price you will get models with auto duplexing and advanced ink options. Moreover, even though basic monochrome printers are available at this price, they are more effective than the previous models. Printers in this range have considerable speed. Most models are likely to have Wi-Fi.
- In this range you will get a printer with fast speed and paper handling capability. Moreover, more networking features and a better control panel will be available. Features include touchscreen, color display, wide-format capability. This range of monochrome laser printers can have a 250 page input tray. But it can be relatively slow.
- Premium level features like networking, large color LCD, web connectivity are available at this price. Speed and print quality will be better and ink cost will also come down. Among the laser models you can get faster and networkable monochrome printers or bare-bones color printers. But the cost of toner will be higher.
- Laser printers of this price are relatively good. You get a 250 page input tray, network capability and a high speed printer. The cost of toner will be higher here too.
- Printers of this price are mainly made for workgroups. Among the features you will find maximum RAM, standard and optical paper tray, monthly duty cycle etc. Toner costs will be lower.
- If you can spend more than 80,000, you will get the best quality printer. Due to the higher capacity cartridges, the cost of toner will be much less in this case. If you run a business that requires a lot of printing, then you can consider buying a printer at this price.